Wednesday, May 18, 2016

SCBWI Summer Reading List!

Summer is the perfect time to enjoy some new books and authors!

​I have a number of books I will recommend in a future post, but for now, I want to give you a list of recommended books put together by the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators. There are many middle grade and YA options listed, as well as a great collection of picture books.  You can search by region if you are looking for local authors or just look at each YA section if you only want YA.  

Mer-Charmer is in the International-Other section, because I'm living in Germany right now and that's the division Germany is included in for SCBWI's regions.  I'm delighted to be included in the list!

So scroll through these books (link on image below) and think about which ones you want to take with you to the pool, to the beach, or on your camping trip.  Many of these will be perfect to enjoy on a rainy Monday afternoon, too, just curled up on your couch with your favorite treat to eat.

And if you have any book recommendations for others, please feel free to share in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. This new Summer Reading List created by SCBWI is outstanding.

    As an educator and a member of SCBWI, I value the importance of picture books.

    While I do agree that "Life is Better When You Read", why would a picture book be considered to: "turn you off"?

    There are many positive benefits of reading and sharing picture books-both fiction and nonfiction are many. Language development, engagement & enjoyment between reader and listener, vocabulary development, increased comprehension, making predictions and so much more. Picture books are not only for young readers. Many classrooms use picture books to teach common core standards. Many writers write and publish outstanding picture books that are valuable and encourage the love of literacy.

    Picture books inspire and empower readers.
    ~Suzy Leopold

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Suzy-- I can see why you might have interpreted my words to mean picture books aren't great. I've actually written entire articles on why everyone should read them. (On the DIY MFA website) I have tween and teen readers on this blog and my concern was that a thirteen year old might open the list and see the picture books listed first and close it, assuming there were no books on the list written with them in mind. I love picture books-- but the primary audience is not the 11-14 year old audience I wrote for, though everyone can certainly enjoy them. I used them in my classroom all the time when I taught middle school English. I apologize for the miscommunication and I will correct my post so as not to give the wrong impression.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment!