Thursday, April 21, 2016

Book Review: Gracefully Grayson-- 5 stars

Book Review: Gracefully Grayson, by Ami Polonsky. Upper middle grade, contemporary realistic.





A wonderful book, definitely 5 stars. The cover is perfect for it.

I wrote on Goodreads/Amazon:

A sensitive and sweet portrayal of a 12 year old boy who has a secret: “he” is a girl on the inside. There are so few books about being transgender, and I was delighted to find this one for upper-middle grade that was positive and yet honest—really, it would even be suitable for middle grade. There is no sexuality, no language, no romance…just the yearning this young person feels to be a different gender.  Poignant and powerful.

If you are someone who fears the idea of trans people, with the hype about the bathroom law going on right now, I highly encourage you to read this book.  You are inside the mind of Grayson, who knows that the body on the outside isn't matching the insides, but isn't sure what to do about it.  It's so well done, emotional without being overly dramatic.  I'll be reading it to my 12 year old soon.  I hope you'll go grab a copy!

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment!