Tuesday, February 16, 2016

My Goodreads Review for a Great Writing Resource for Young People

Spilling Ink: A Young Writer's HandbookSpilling Ink: A Young Writer's Handbook by Anne Mazer
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is the best book on the craft of creative writing that I've read that is aimed at elementary kids and middle schoolers. It's written to the young people themselves, which is fun, and offers challenges and advice from two different authors. Teachers could easily incorporate it into their classrooms. I am asked sometimes which books to help someone learn to write. My favorite writing book for high schoolers and up is On Writing, by Stephen King, followed by Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott. And I highly recommend those to teens and adults. But those books both have topics and language that is not aimed at younger students, especially in a classroom setting. Worry no more-- here's the book to use for your children and tweens, and even young teens. Age-appropriate and direct without being condescending or babyish, I think Spilling Ink: A Young Writer's Handbook is a fabulous, fun way to help kids learn about the practical issues of creative writing.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment!