Saturday, July 2, 2011

When It's Time to Begin a New Story

Everything I've read says that once you start querying, the best thing to do is to start writing the next thing. I believe them. Keep querying, mind you, but also move on. I am finding this very hard to do. I feel like i'm giving up on my middle grade manuscript if I stop thinking about it, worrying about it, hoping for it...but really, as many writer and agent blogs point out, querying is hardly a full-time job. I have a full-time job as a mother, and a part-time job writing passages and items for assessments, so really, the remaining time I spend working on my own stuff needs to be very focused.

I am almost ready to move on, I think. I've got a couple of different premises I'm playing with in my head. They are marinating. Percolating, if you will. And soon, I think, I'll be able to start a fresh new draft, set in a different world, with different characters. But there is still a sense of sadness, like I'm saying goodbye to someone I love. This is the first manuscript that I felt really WORKED. It's scary to start all over again! But starting a new work after finishing the last one is part of being a writer, at least the kind of writer I want to be.

So I'll begin. Soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment!