Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Why It Sometimes Helps to Get Feedback Early

I wrote the first scene for my new MG sci fi story-- one I have been thinking about, very excitedly. I've been reading the book Hooked: Write Fiction That Grabs Readers at Page One and Never Lets Them Go, and the whole time I was imagining this story. You know, comparing my plans with what the author Les Edgeron says is important in a great beginning...

Then my husband reads the first page and points out a major, fatal flaw in the story premise. There's really no getting around it-- the central problem I had envisioned just isn't a big deal in a sci fi universe. I've read enough science fiction that I should have seen that, but it took an outside person to say, "Uh, hey, if they can do things like terraform a planet, is this main problem of yours really that big of a problem? I'm really sorry to have to point that out." He was very sweet about it.

Well, better now than 100 pages later, right? So...back to the drawing board. Maybe there's a way to save it yet. I'll keep thinking. Dang it.

1 comment:

Thank you for leaving a comment!