Saturday, April 25, 2009

SCBWI Conference in Austin...whew!

So I am home from the SCBWI conference in Austin: a big, long, exhausting, exciting, stimulating day! The publishers and editors at Bloomingtree Press were kind enough to spend their day talking to us about writing for the children's market, which includes picture books through YA. I also had two critiques done by two different people from the publishing house. Both said similar things. On the positive side, both complemented my writing, the actual word choice and sentence structure, etc. One even said my prose was "powerful and strong." !!!

On the other side, apparently, I really need to ditch the whole last half of my novel or, at the very least, insert something exciting, thrilling and otherwise tension-building into the middle of my novel. The "sagging middle" is a common occurence that I have fallen victim to. I knew I found the middle part...less interesting than the rest, but I didn't realize it needed more than cosmetic surgery. It needed an organ transplant. I have an idea and am excited about the possibilities, which is the best thing yet. I want to be so excited about the story as it unfolds that I am not even particularly worried about what may happen when I finish the manuscript.

More later-- I've spent all day focused on writing. Now I'm going to go focus on being a wife and a mother!

1 comment:

  1. YAY! I am glad it was a good experience for you. And super glad you have found excitement in the process, not just in the product.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment!