Saturday, March 7, 2009

Ways to Procrastinate

Instead of writing, you might try one of the following activities. I have found them to be very useful when procrastinating, even when I'm doing it unconsciously.

1. Create a blog. Post a lot.
2. Join Facebook. Post a lot.
3. Join many yahoo boards or other bullitan boards. Post a lot.
4. Spend plenty of time reading other people's blogs on writing.
5. Read sites like SCBWI so you can feel good about your time not being spent writing.

Of course, everyone needs breaks from writing-- I think I need more than average. But...there are times when thinking about writing, at least for me, gets in the way of writing. It is one of my biggest challenges to overcome as a writer, I think, at least at this stage when I just need to write the bleeping story. Anyone else?

3 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to reading more about your journey! And my favorite writing quote of all time (since I am of the perfectionist procrastinator variety) is "Don't get it right, get it written"

    I'm sure I;ll be seeing your posts around facebook or the boards :)
    **N**

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nikki,
    What a great quote! I'll have to put that on my desk-- thanks for writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I missed this post before! I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment!